Traffic during construction will be limited to one lane, the work is currently scheduled to be done on first shift Monday through Thursday, weather permitting. The project duration is ninety (90) days.
The declaration of a National Emergency regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and the rapidly changing environment in which we live and work have produced a lot of uncertainty. Rest assured the MABL staff is diligently serving all customers by ensuring the essential resource of water remains available. Click here for CDC information related to COVID-19 and your drinking water.
As businesses, office buildings, medical offices, churches, and various other facilities prepare to move forward with re-openings it will be important to flush the water lines that have been stagnant in both hot and cold water fixtures. Flush enough water to drain all stagnant water from all the water lines and all plumbing fixtures. The purpose of building flushing is to replace all water inside building piping with fresh water. For more information visit the CDC guidance page to ensure the safety of your building water system and devices after a prolonged shutdown. Click here ->
- Identify where the water enters the building, all taps (faucets, showerheads, water fountains), and water-using devices (dishwashers, ice machines)
- Remove any potential cross-connections, such as hoses connected to spigots, to prevent backflow into plumbing systems
- Remove aerators when possible
- Flush the entire building
- Flush cold water lines before hot water lines
- Flush the building zone by zone, beginning where the water enters the building and moving outward towards the distal ends
- Flushing time will vary based on building size; a temperature change or chlorine smell may be used as indicators that fresh water has reached all fixtures within the building
- Clean faucets, showerheads, and other fixtures
- Inspect and conduct necessary maintenance on mechanical equipment such as water heaters, boilers, storage tanks, backflow prevention devices, etc. using manufacturer’s instructions
- Consider developing an ongoing water management plan to maintain high-quality water at all times
Effective Monday, June 15, 2020, MABL will limit customer access to our office lobby to one customer and continue to encourage customer service through our drive-thru window.
In-home service calls will be expanded beyond emergency situations. MABL Staff will be required to wear a mask to enter any customer property. MABL staff will be available at the office and by phone, Monday through Friday 8:30 am through 5:00 pm to answer any questions you may have and to provide support for any water-related emergencies.
MABL's alternative payment channels:
-Night Deposit Slot - Front Door (Right)
-Customer Portal www.lewistownwater.com/payment-options/:
-Bank Account Draft-free
-Credit Card by Phone-$2.95 fee (833) 362-3800
Water Service Applications for new water service or existing service transfers of water service can be initiated by telephone. Please call MABL office staff Monday through Friday for complete details.
These temporary adjustments are being made out of an abundance of caution and are being put in place as a preventative measure to decrease the number of people interacting in our local office and create greater social distance between our staff and customers, as recommended by the Federal Coronavirus Task Force and Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
As the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic develops, the health and safety of municipal authority customers and their employees is MABL’s top priority. MABL is continually receiving updates and taking action to maintain the critical need for water service to homes and businesses across the service area. In an effort to mitigate impacts of COVID-19, and as a measure to assist anticipated economic impact on customers, the following items are being added to our action list:
- Placing a moratorium on shutoffs
- Suspending or waiving late charges or fees
- Instituting payment assistance plans
MABL will continue to follow State and CDC COVID-19 recommendations regarding health and safety as they are updated.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate this crisis – keep calm and stay healthy.
Credit Card Payments by Phone: (833) 362-3800
The Municipal Authority of the Borough of Lewistown (MABL)
MABL, established in 1944, serves residents in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania. MABL is committed to providing our consumers with a safe, reliable, and affordable supply of high-quality drinking water. MABL provides potable drinking water, through a complex maze of almost 300 miles of transmission and distribution mains, as well as providing fire protection through over 600 fire hydrants.
MABL proudly serves customers in Armagh Township, Brown Township, Burnham Borough, Derry Township, Granville Township, Juniata Terrace Borough, Lewistown Borough and Union Township.